Click the “Apply for Apprenticeship” link to download the application.
Submit all materials to Sofia Mendoza at firstname.lastname@example.org
Apprenticeship Program Information
A program designed to provide hands-on working experience to diverse professionals interested in pursuing a career in the tourism and hospitality industry. Potential Apprentices will receive an opportunity to choose a tourism, hospitality, events, venue or sports career path that aligns with their professional career goals. The Tourism Apprentice Career Track (TACT) is comprised of three distinctive tracks: a Destination Track, a Sports Track, and a Meetings & Events Track.
The Apprentice will complete a total of 600 working hours (not to exceed six months) among all three partners and during this time they will gain experience working across multiple departments (i.e., marketing, sales, finance, operations, etc.)
They will also gain exposure to other local stakeholders and community partners such as the Airport, Government Agencies, Meeting and Event Organizations, Restaurants and Attractions etc. Upon successful completion of the program, a full-time position will be secured.
“In order to have an impact on ethnic diversity in the tourism and events industry long term, we must first engage with young professionals in a meaningful way. For this apprenticeship program to truly succeed, there must be career planning, ongoing mentorship, support from our industry partners, and job placement at the end, and we hope to add value in all those areas.”
President & CEO, Tourism Diversity Matters
How the Program Works
Program ExpectationsThe Apprentice(s) will receive a well-rounded on-the-job experience by working on valuable projects, tasks, assignments, and daily functions, not solely based on a shadowing experience. The Apprentice will be paired with a designated mentor at each assignment location at the Host Organization and its two (2) Partners.
- Host Organization will recruit/select The Apprentice(s) and establish partnerships with Partners
- Host Organization and its Partners are responsible for seeking, sourcing, and securing placement opportunities for the apprentice.
TOURISM DIVERSITY MATTERS
- Provide ongoing mentorship and support to The Apprentice(s), Host Organization, and Partners
- Conduct extensive background and reference checks of the final candidate(s).
- Conduct bi-weekly check-in with the Host Organization to discuss progress and placement opportunities for The Apprentice(s).
- Able to assist with identifying candidates through strategic partnerships.
- Commit to working at least 600 hours (not exceeding a six (6) month period), up to 40 hours per week at a minimum hourly rate of $17 per hour.
- Identify as a diverse professional.
- Be at least eighteen (18) years of age and successfully pass a background check.
- Have a passion for Tourism, Sports, Events, and Hospitality.
- Possess, or in pursuit of a Certificate, Associate, Bachelor or Master level degree in business administration, public relations, consumer services, hospitality/culinary management, marketing, communications, etc.).
- Have at least one (1) year of relevant work experience acquired through employment, internship(s), and-or by volunteering.
- Provide a copy of your college transcript, certificate, degree, or diploma.
- Submit two (2) letters of recommendation
Tourism Apprenticeship Career Tracks
Curated to prepare Apprentices interested in a Destination Management, hotel or facility career path. The Apprentice will be provided the opportunity to gain hands-on experience working with a Destination Organization (DO), Hotel and Convention Facility or another destination partner (Airport Authority, Attraction, etc.).
Developed to prepare Apprentices for a career in Sports Events and Tourism. The Apprentice will be provided the opportunity to gain hands-on experience working with a Sports Commission, sports complexes, lodging, sports marketing departments for corporations, and Collegiate Athletic Department or Professional Sports Team.
Designed to prepare Apprentices that are interested in becoming an event planner or show organizer. The Apprentice will be provided the opportunity to gain hands-on experience working with an Industry Event Association, Event Company, a facility and perhaps a University.
Apprenticeship Program Supporters
As the only trade association for the sport tourism industry, Sports ETA is the most trusted resource for sports commissions, destination organizations (DOs), and sports event owners. Our promise is to deliver quality education, ample networking opportunities and exceptional event management and marketing know-how to our members.
The International Association of Venue Managers, having significant influence in a global industry, is the acknowledged organization providing superlative leadership, cutting-edge innovation, advanced education, supportive advocacy, opportunities for networking and connection to other venue professionals around the world.
“We are committed to developing and investing in the leaders of tomorrow that represent a diverse set of backgrounds and perspectives. We believe the Apprenticeship Program will provide a structured platform for young people to be exposed to the travel and tourism industry and gain invaluable learning opportunities from experienced leaders.”
President & CEO, Destinations International
“Sports ETA is pleased to support this new innovative apprenticeship program offering professional experience to the next generation of leaders in our sports events tourism industry. The partnership with Destinations International, International Association of Venue Managers and SearchWide Global will provide a comprehensive approach to offering a number of professional opportunities for the apprentices.”
Alan R. Kidd
President & CEO, Sports ETA
“This apprenticeship program is in concert with IAVM’s values in offering real life experiences to a diverse and inclusive future leadership in our phenomenal industry. We are excited to partner with Destinations International and SearchWide Global to further professional development for leadership that is inclusive and strong.”
President & CEO,
International Association of Venue Managers
Interested in learning more?
Schedule a phone consultation with SearchWide Global’s Apprenticeship Program Coordinator.
Or call us toll free at 888-386-6390.